Boys earn silver in meet and 7 girls garner All-State honors
Kearney, Mo., June 1, 2021: Kearney High School topped a successful track and field season with extraordinary performances at the 2021 Class 4 State Championship meet on Friday, May 28, in Jefferson City.
The Bulldog boys took second place at the state meet. The day was capped when KHS runners Kyler Chappell, Kyle Hofer, Joseph Marshall and Jake Gregory garnered gold in the 4×400 relay.
The girls had a similarly outstanding day in Jefferson City and finished ninth overall. KHS sent seven girls to state, and all of them earned All-State recognitions.
Bulldogs Jadyn Barnes, Liela Murphy, Shelby Singleton and Morgan Wood took third in the 4×400 relay. Their result helped propel the team into the top 10, according to Coach Geoff Hutton.
“The coaching staff and I are extremely proud of the efforts the ladies put into that meet and they had a great time doing it,” Coach Hutton said. “They had a strong season and enjoyed many successes from their hard work all season.”
This year’s results are historic for the KHS boys at the state track and field meet, according to Coach Scott Crall.
“It was an extremely exciting day, and our boys did not disappoint at all,” Coach Crall said. “The success of our program continues to grow over the years, and I cannot be prouder of the work and dedication of our athletes and coaches.”
Several of the KHS boys recorded personal best results at the state meet and exceeded expectations. Ten of the squad members placed in the top eight and earned All-State honors in their events.
“In our track program, we focus on ‘championship season,’ which begins in May,” Crall said. “We focus our training so that our student-athletes peak during the conference, district, sectional and state meets. The boys trusted their training, and we trusted them.”
KHS Boys All-State Track & Field Athletes
- Luke Noland – 2nd Long Jump (23′ Jump), 2nd 110M Hurdles (14.74 School Record), 6th 4x200M Relay
- Logan Arellano – 2nd 400M, 3rd 4x800M Relay, and State Champion 4x400M Relay
- K.J. Smith – 2nd Discus
- Zachary Grace – 5th Discus
- Will Dolinar – 6th 4x200M Relay
- Brock Colhour – 6th 4x200M Relay
- Joe Marshall – 6th 4x200M Relay and State Champion 4x400M Relay
- Carter Woods – 3rd 4x800M Relay
- Kyler Chappell – 3rd 4x800M Relay and State Champion 4x400M Relay
- Kyle Hofer – 7th 400M, 3rd 4x800M Relay, and State Champion 4x400M Relay
KHS Girls All-State Track & Field Athletes
- Braelyn Rivera – 5th Discus and 8th Shot Put
- Ava Lawless – 3rd Triple Jump
- Morgan Wood – 6th 300M Hurdles
- Abby Stamper, Wood, Lawless and Jadyn Barnes – 4th 4x200M Relay
- Barnes, Liela Murphy, Shelby Singleton and Wood – 3rd 4x400M Relay
- Barnes, Jillian Vaughn, Abby Smith, Wood and Murphy – 4th 4x800M Relay
Visit the MileSplit website for complete KHS results at the 2021 State Track and Field Championship meet.