Welcome to the Kearney School District Health Services webpage! Our top priority in the health room is to assure the well being and safety of your child while in our care. By performing health screenings and educating our students about prevention and management of disease we strive to catch medical problems before their impact is seen in the classroom setting, keeping our students healthy and ready to learn. We highly encourage an open and ongoing communication between parent and health staff and welcome your input to meet the unique needs of your child.
KSD Nurses have received training on COVID-19 specific health guidelines and procedures. KSD Staff members will work closely with nurses to help keep students and staff safe and healthy. Please remember to do the self assessment each day before sending your students to school. Find the assessment by clicking here.
Student Celebrations & Classroom Food Items
- Snacks provided for the classroom must meet smart snack standards and still must be approved through the health room. Some suggestions would be: cheese sticks, fresh fruit, fruit cups in own juice with no sugar added, fresh veggies, whole grain Teddy Grahams, just to name a very few items.
- Individual snacks must always be peanut and tree nut free (this includes coconut).
- Birthday celebrations: Only non-food items are acceptable.
- Class parties will still occur using Smart Snack Guidelines.
- Find out if a food or beverage meets the standards by visiting the Smart Snack calculator here.
All children that are enrolled in the school district must be in compliance with the state’s current immunization laws and regulations. Those immunizations must be on file with your child’s school nurse. If the child has actually had their scheduled immunizations, please obtain a letter, statement, or record from your health provider showing each dose of vaccine and the full date (month/day/year) administered. The law provides that students not in compliance with these requirements, must be excluded from school until the student provides verification of the immunizations received, has a scheduled plan signed by the physician, or obtains an exemption signed according to the provisions of the law. The exemption card cannot be photocopy. It must be the actual card provided by the State of Missouri. Clay County Health Department is no longer providing those cards. They will provide a phone number and refer you to the state. If there are any questions regarding this, please direct them to your school nurse.
To see the immunization requirements for 2020-2021, please click here.
MO now requires all students entering into the 8th grade to have one MCV (Meningococcal vaccine) as well as one Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis) prior to school start. All students entering the 12th grade are required to have two doses of MCV unless the first dose is administered on or after the age of 16, then only one dose is required. See your family physician or county health department to get your child up to date before school session 2019-2020. Please supply your child’s school with a copy of your child’s updated vaccine record prior to school start 2020-2021.
- What is the MCV (meningococcal vaccine) and meningitis?
- District Standing Orders for Over-the Counter Meds and Epinephrine use.
- Miles of Smiles Portable Dental Program Registration Forms. Location
- District Head Lice Procedure Rationale. Contact your child’s health provider for the best treatment option for your child and Head Lice. Treatment Coupons-Sklice, Lycelle (pesticide free)
- MMR-Measles outbreak in the news. Mumps outbreak in the news.
- Religious or medical exemption to vaccine(s)–what this could mean for your child?
- What is HPV (Human Papillomaovirus)? Should your teen get vaccinated? The vaccine is recommended for both boys and girls age 11-12.
- Do you need affordable health insurance for you and your kids? Medicaid and Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) offer free or low cost health insurance. To learn more visit HealthCare.gov
- MOHealthnet Managed Care enrollment info