The 2021-2022 school year will be here soon! The first day of class is Tuesday, Aug. 24, 2021. Here are some valuable back-to-school resources to help you and your family prepare.
Return to School Plan
Kearney School District's 2021-2022 Return to School Plan is now available. This plan details all of our COVID-19 mitigation steps, including universal, indoor face masks for KSD students, staff members and visitors. Visit our COVID-19 Updates page for more information.
KSD uses SchoolMessenger to send information to parents/guardians via phone, email or text. You may receive messages from the district level, building level or from individual teachers. There is no need to sign-up for SchoolMessenger, as all parents/guardians are already enrolled. However, you may want to customize how you receive your message or add additional contact information. LEARN MORE
Please be aware that you will need to text "Y" or "Yes" to 67587 to opt-in to receive SMS text messages from KSD via SchoolMessenger.
2021-2022 Academic Calendar
Click image for a full-size PDF version:
- 2021-2022 Elementary School Supply List
- Kearney Middle School Supply List
- Kearney Junior High School Supply List
- High School Supply List: Supply lists will be provided to high school students by teachers on the first day of school. Paper, a pencil and a pen will be sufficient for the first day of classes.
Kearney School District contracts with Durham School Services for bus management and operations.
Due to an unprecedented nationwide bus driver shortage, Durham School Services – our student transportation provider – has experienced some delays in picking up and dropping off students.
The leadership and office support staff at Durham will be operating buses in order to ensure that our students get to and from school in a safe and timely manner. This has impacted their ability to answer phone calls and respond to customer service requests. The KSD leadership team is working with Durham to help address those needs.
We appreciate your patience as we find a solution. The Bus Barn can normally be reached from 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. at (816) 628-9003. If you are not able to reach anyone at that number, please call our central office at (816) 628-4116.
Families with children who are new to KSD or who have not been a school bus rider before should call Durham School Services as soon as possible to confirm their route for the 2021-2022 year.
- 2021-2022 School Bus Routes
- Bus Tracker App - The Durham School Services Bus Tracker app allows families to track the location of their student’s bus in near real-time, including the scheduled arrival time of each stop. You will need your student’s ID number in order to track the bus. Contact your school office for your student’s ID. Download the app from the Apple App Store or Google Play, and follow these instructions.
School Bell Times
Elementary Schools and Forest Friends Early Education Program
- Regular Schedule - 8:40 a.m. to 3:25 p.m.
- 2-Hour Early Out - 8:40 a.m. to 1:25 p.m.
- Half-Day - 8:40 to 11:40 a.m.
Kearney Middle, Junior and High School
- Regular Schedule - 7:35 a.m. to 2:20 p.m.
- 2-Hour Early Out - 7:35 a.m. to 12:20 p.m.
- Half-Day - 7:35 to 10:35 a.m.
Please read your student’s school handbook for more details about schedules and pick-up and drop-off procedures.
We are pleased to share that we will continue to provide school breakfasts and lunches at no charge for students during the 2021-2022 academic year. However, all families should still complete the Free and Reduced-Price Lunch Application. This will ensure that KSD has the resources to provide support services for every child.
- Please use the following link to complete the application as soon as possible: Free and Reduced-Price Lunch Application
Please email email@example.com or call (816) 628-4116 if you have questions about the Free and Reduced-Price Lunch Application process.
1:1 Device Insurance
KSD provides devices for all students: iPads in grades K-1 and Chromebooks in Grades 2 through 12. Each student will be assigned their own district-issued device.
We are offering an insurance program at minimal cost to protect against accidental damage to these devices. Insurance coverage is required if students in Grades 2 through 12 wish to bring their assigned Chromebooks home. If parents/guardians do not register for the insurance program, the student’s parents/guardians will be responsible for the full cost of any damage to their KSD-issued device, including any damage that occurs while the device is at school.
- For more information on the coverage, fees, and deductibles of this insurance program, please click here
- For Frequently Asked Questions about our 1:1 program, please click here
- To enroll in the 1:1 insurance program for your students, please visit the One2One Risk site, and enter his or her student ID when prompted.
NOTE: 1:1 Insurance Registration will need to be completed separately for each student.
Enrollment and Proof of Residency
Families with students who are new to KSD will need to complete the enrollment process if they have not done so already. More information about this process is available on our Enrollment Center webpage.
New KSD students and those who are entering kindergarten or grades 3, 6, 8 or 10 must provide proof of residency. More information is available in the document attached below. For questions, please contact your child’s school or email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the KSD Administrative Office at (816) 628-4116.
MORE INFO: Proof of Residency Requirements
All children that are enrolled in KSD must be in compliance with Missouri’s current immunization laws and regulations. Those immunizations must be on file with your child’s school nurse. If the child has actually had their scheduled immunizations, please obtain a letter, statement, or record from your health provider showing each dose of vaccine and the full date (month/day/year) administered. The law provides that students not in compliance with these requirements must be excluded from school until the student provides verification of the immunizations received, has a scheduled plan signed by the physician, or obtains an exemption signed according to the provisions of the law. Visit our Health Services webpage to learn more.