School Safety Department
Emergency Response Guide
Sharing and understanding the KSD response terms helps bridge critical communication to all parties involved in an emergency. Click here to view the terms used by all school district buildings in the event of an emergency.
People can text safety concerns involving drugs, bullying, weapons, or suicidal students. The keyword for Kearney is “DAWGS”. The number is 274637 (CRIMES).
- A – Alert: Communicate with the entire building of an armed intruder. Provide location of the intruder as well.
- L – Lockdown: Lock the doors, barricade, look for objects that can be thrown by students if the intruder comes in the classroom. Teachers can also break windows and get students out.
- I – Inform: Try to provide real time information to the people locked down in the building. If the shooter moves out of their area, let them know they can get out.
- C – Counter: If the shooter encounters you, throw objects, cause distractions, swarm him. Do anything you can to survive.
- E – Evacuate: Get out of the building and go to a rally point as quickly as possible.